Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cron-3.0.1-9

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Luciano wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote on 16 abr 2003:
> [snip]
> >> Also, I'm inclined to think that crontab.exe also needs some
> >> tweaking. If I edit my tabs with Vi (yikes!), the tasks are
> >> run. I mean, now I get that error above. But if I edit a file
> >> with my ever- so-stunning Windows text editor and run
> >>
> >> crontab file.txt
> >>
> >> ... all tasks are skipped.
> >
> > It's not CRLF related since crontab does convert all CRLFs on
> > input to LFs on output.  Are you sure that your... stunning...
> > Windows editor doesn't create some line wraps on it's own?
>
> I don't think so. My stunning editor (UltraEdit) is set to use LF
> instead of CRLF in every new file it creates. Can that be a
> problem???

Luciano,

This is just a WAG, but I remember a thread last year (I think) on
problems with crontab and Windows editors.  I'm not sure this is related
(do you have your EDITOR set to UltraEdit, by any chance?), but some
editors write out a new copy of the file, rather than writing it in place
(like vi or emacs).  Look at the inode number of file.txt before and after
UltraEdit saves it and see if it remains the same.  If not, that might be
the problem.  Again, the above is just a WAG.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II