RE: A request?

Bob,

Thanks for your email.  AFAICS, these points have been made before
and responses can be found in the email archives.  However, I'll
summarize them here for the convenience of anyone who is interested
in following through on the points made below:

  1. There is general agreement that there would be a benefit to the
     user community to have a 2 tier release structure a la Linux et al.
     The only thing missing is volunteers willing to undertake the task
     of making this happen or somebody willing to fund an effort to spur
     interest of "volunteers". ;-)

  2. There are many approaches to creating your own, controllable snapshot
     of the Cygwin distribution.  The approach you suggest isn't recommended
     since it relies on the knowledge of mount points in the registry, which
     is an implementation detail and *will* be changing.  So this procedure
     will cease to work in the future.  'mount' should always be used to
     create, remove, and manipulate Cygwin's mount points.  It will *always*
     work regardless of the underlying implementation.  Generally speaking,
     this list recommends setting up a local mirror and using it with
     setup.exe as the best way to replicate a local snapshot of the
     Cygwin distribution.  However, I think everyone would agree that
     creating a snapshot of Cygwin that can be easily installed on many
     machines is not the same as generating, maintaining, testing,
packaging,
     and releasing two branches of the Cygwin distribution.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in either of these topics to visit the
archives for background discussion and any of the finer points previously
covered.

HTH,

Larry