mount & ls

Hi,
I'm relatively new here, but I have a question about mount.

I would like to mount a directory into my home directory.  So, I use
the command "mount -f -u /cygdrive/d/download $HOME/download" assuming,
of course, that D:\Download exists.  Now, if I execute "ls ~", why
don't I see the download directory?  Why can I see mounted directories
in the /cygdrive?

Am I asking for the impossible or is there another way?

Doug Jenkinson