rootless X server, wow!

The XFree86 4.3.0 release notes mention:
"Various Cygwin support updates, including an experimental rootless X server for Cygwin/XFree86."
which made me drool, but the latest Cygwin is still at XFree86 4.2.0.

A little poking around, though, showed that the rootless mode is already
in Cygwin as of Jan 2003; see http://xfree86.cygwin.com/
I verified that Xwin -rootless does seem to kind of work,
but I couldn't figure out how to make it start with 'startx'.

Seems like that ought to be an FAQ, but it's not in
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html

One possible answer is at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-03/msg00040.html
namely, create ~/.xserverrc containing
 exec X -rootless

I just tried this, and it works!  This is so cool!
It might just get rid of one big objection my wife
has to using cygwin: "that icky big X window".

BTW, I only just discovered the cygwin-xfree-faq.
Shouldn't the main Cygwin FAQ point to that document with big flashing arrows?
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com