Re: proftpd (and vsftpd too)

Gerrit,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:18:11AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Lets see what Jason figured out.

The short answer is that I have given up on proftpd and I use vsftpd
instead.  Note that all that I needed was a firewall friendly ftp
server and vsftpd meets that requirement very nicely.

The long answer is the following...

I very quickly got passed the NT authentication part thanks to
leveraging off of Corinna's inetutils work.  Unfortunately, I had a
*lot* of trouble and spent *way* too much time trying to get proftpd
to function properly after switching users.

For some reason after proftpd switched users, operation like ls and
get/put would fail with strange errors (e.g., socket operation on a
non-socket).  Note that during the porting process, I temporarily had a
bug that prevented proftpd from switching users so it ran as
LocalSystem.  The perplexing thing was that proftpd ran perfectly under
the LocalSystem account except (of course) that transferred files had
the wrong ownership.

I can post my proftpd "patch" from my very stale CVS working directory.
Do you want it?

However, I really recommend my vsftpd patch instead.  The port is
complete except for the binary/text mode part.  Do you want this patch
instead?

Jason