Re: CVS head bash problem

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:00:51PM -0400, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>Rolf Campbell wrote:
>>Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

>>>This sounds a lot like
>>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg00286.html
>>>What's your system?
>>>
>>>Pierre
>>>
>>Yes, I think that's the exact same problem that I'm having.  I'm running
>>Win2000.  So, it looks like bash is getting an EOF (sometimes) when the
>>program is run in the background.  You have your's set not to logout on ^D?
>>-Rolf
>
>I just tried a simple test, created about 100 lines of text, all of them
>"cat hhhh".  Then copied them into the clipboard and pasted them into an
>NT shell running bash.  I've appended the important part of the output.
> At the end of this, bash is dead (still shows up in ms-task manager,
>but doesn't respond to anything (including ^C).  I was able to reproduce
>this in rxvt as well but it took much longer, and ^C sort-of worked.
>After the ^C, I got back to a prompt, but then I tried to run "ps" and
>rxvt immediately exited.  I have been unable to reproduce using strace.

A few debugging possibilities spring to mind here.

Try running it under strace with a very large buffer size in (the -b
option).  Attach to the hung process in strace or gdb.

Does it also have problems with cygwin snapshots?  If not, then we need
to see how you've configured your version of cygwin, what version of gcc
you use, etc.

If this is just a cvs thing (and that isn't really clear) then the old
popular binary search through cvs might be useful to find out what
change caused the problem.

Also, send cygcheck output (as an attachment).  I suspect that you may
be using CYGWIN=tty but we don't know what your setup is.

cgf