Re: CVS head bash problem

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:03:57AM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>At 11:29 PM 4/22/2003 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>A few debugging possibilities spring to mind here.
>>
>>Try running it under strace with a very large buffer size in (the -b
>>option).  Attach to the hung process in strace or gdb.
>>
>>Does it also have problems with cygwin snapshots?  If not, then we need
>>to see how you've configured your version of cygwin, what version of gcc
>>you use, etc.
>>
>>If this is just a cvs thing (and that isn't really clear) then the old
>>popular binary search through cvs might be useful to find out what
>>change caused the problem.
>>
>>Also, send cygcheck output (as an attachment).  I suspect that you may
>>be using CYGWIN=tty but we don't know what your setup is.
>
>I had sent a cygcheck output immediately after my initial report.
>CYGWIN is unset.
>
>Contrary to Rolf I have never seen a hung process in this context.

It just occurred to me that this is probably the old bash "reuse the
pid" problem.  Bash is confused when pid numbers are reused in quick
succession, which can be the case on Windows.  I thought that Corinna
had turned on something in bash to work around this problem.  I wonder
if it is no longer on in recent versions of bash or if the workaround
doesn't work.

You can prove if this is the error or not by defining SLOW_PID_REUSE
when compiling fork.cc.

cgf