Re: cygwin - Versioned Distro's (was Re: A request?)

Sorry got really bogged down today and missed a lot...

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 04:30:47AM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> >What we'd need:
> >
> >- A CVS repository
>
> Are you seriously considering setting up a CVS repository for the
> whole distribution?  I don't think I want to set aside that much
> disk space for this.

...No, what I was thinking was to just keep patches from 'curr' packages in
CVS. But that'd mean having to keep the packages around and would be more
trouble than just keeping a full repo. T'was late when I thought about it,
but I still like the idea of having a stable release, and would like to
continue persueing it. Maybe going along the setup integrated route would be
a more viable approach.

> Just to set the ground rules: While I see it as inevitable that there
> will be a certain amount of interaction required from me, I've said on
> multiple occasions that I have little interest in this scheme.

Sorry, working late and proposing ideas just don't mix for me. I Was trying
to come up with something that wouldn't require yourself and other package
maintainers to keep getting in the mix of things. Perhaps should have added
a 'maintainers exempt from duties' there somewhere. ;-)

> If I'm convinced that there is enough interest and commitment, I'll take
> some time to give people web page access and (if it is really needed)
> CVS access.  However, I'm not going to change the way that I release the
> cygwin DLL currently and I'm not going to allow changes in the current
> release process to accommodate this new method.  In short, the goal is
> for you to accommodate me, not the other way around.  This is probably
> obvious to some but I thought I'd better say it early so I'd have a
> URL to refer to later.
>
> I really don't think this is a one man job, either.  This is a lot of
> work.  I am not sure that anyone appreciates how much work it is.
>
> cgf

I totally agree, it's a hell of a lot of work for one person, I was hoping
that more people would offer help, although who'd want to. I was thinking
that if people want a stable release they would 'chip in' as it were and
volunteer. Seems not to be the case.

I see what you mean in your first answer, to the original thread that
spawned my enthusiasm, about people wanting but not helping in the getting
part.