bash: "read -p MY_PROMPT ANS" not always flushing MY_PROMPT text to STDOUT

bash script snippet (1.3.20; CYGWIN set to "binmode tty ntsec" ):

   #prompt text in some cases does not show up:
   read -p "pls enter your answer here > " ANSWER

   #this workaround has never failed:
   echo -n "pls enter your answer here > "
   read ANSWER

We're upgrading from a very old version of cygwin and are finding
we have to adjust perl and bash scripts with workarounds
; in general the scripts are supposed to be sending
text to STDOUT just prior to prompting for user input- this
prompt text is not always showing up.

I searched the mailing list for similiar issues and came up with
several near matches, but not specifically with bash.  Like another
poster I had to adjust a perl script to force it to flush a
print to STDOUT ("tell STDOUT ;" seemed to fix it).

The bash problem is buried in a fairly involved set of scripts, and
I have not been able to come up with a simplied case that
exhibits the bug- don't have the time now.  When time permits
I will send a test case.

Thanks as always for cygwin!

--
regards,