Re: Permission denied when checking out /cvs/cygwin/htdocs

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>
>> ping?
>>
>>> I was just attempting to check the Cygwin web page(s)...But I'm getting
>>> this
>>>
>>> cvs server: Updating .
>>> cvs server: Updating CVSROOT
>>> cvs server: Updating htdocs
>>> cvs server: Updating htdocs/acronyms
>>> cvs server: failed to create lock directory for
>>> `/cvs/cygwin/htdocs/acronyms' (/cvs/cygwin/htdocs/acronyms/#cvs.lock):
>>> Permission denied
>>> cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
>>> `/cvs/cygwin/htdocs/acronyms'
>>> cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
>>
>> Elfyn
>
> My guess is the directory permissions are missing the sticky bit.
> Someone with shell root access will have to fix it (alternatively, I
> could, if given shell access temporarily).
>
> Elfyn, do you have trouble checking out htdocs/goldstars?  If not, this
> would be very strange, as I used "cvs add" to add both directories...
> Maybe something's wrong with the CVSROOT scripts (or the Emptydir, I'm not
> quite sure how cvs does it).

As Elfyn says, its fixed now. Someone (a cron job?) chowned the repo to
anoncvs.

One rather strange thing I found (I guess this is a question for CGF): Based
on the permissions alone, src should be suffering from this problem as
well - but it isn't! And there is no LockDir in src/CVSROOT/config! So why
is CVS putting the lock files elsewhere in this case? And where? Please,
sate my curiosity! :-)

Max.