RE: setup.exe: Woe is me!

On Saturday, April 26, 2003 3:20 PM, Igor Pechtchanski [SMTP:pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu] wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Phil Bewig wrote:
>
> > I am having trouble installing cygwin on a machine running Win98.  I have
> > downloaded setup.exe to my machine, the latest version currently available.
>
> Which is?..  Numbers help...
>
> >  I have run setup.exe and downloaded the default selection of packages.
> >  Setup.exe has properly computed checksums.  Then setup.exe hangs.  I am
> > able to press ctrl-alt-delete to access the task window, which shows
> > setup.exe is not responding, and end the task.  I have tried several times
> > and setup.exe won't go past this point.  I never see the list of packages
> > available to select which ones to install.  There is no anti-virus software
> > running on the computer during installation.  No files are written in
> > /var/log.  My primary hard drive is c:, my cygwin directory is d:\ and my
> > package directory is d:\package.  I had cygwin installed on this machine
> > about a year ago, then uninstalled it, following the directions in the faq;
> > is it possible that something is left from the prior installation that is
> > causing the problem?  I don't know what to do next.  Can anyone help?
> >
> > Phil
>
> How long did you leave setup "hanging" for?  If you haven't downloaded a
> snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>, you are likely to be
> the victim of a "rush job" traversal algorithm for the package list (see
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg01150.html>).  This should be
> fixed in the 2.358 snapshot.  Or you could simply wait "a minute"
> (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg02256.html>).
> 	Igor
> --
> 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor at watson dot ibm dot com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
>   -- Leto II

Setup version 2.340.2.5, downloaded earlier today.

On one occasion I left it hanging for several hours.  For a while
it would still respond to system messages, for instance I could
drag the title bar to move the window to a different part of the
screen.  Then it stopped doing even that, and the task window
sait "not responding."  I was previously aware of the "long
minute" thread, having searched the mailing list, but not of the
"rush job" thread.

Since posting I have made another attempt, getting farther.  I
was able to select packages on the chooser screen, and
setup.exe began installing sh.exe.  I let it work for over an
hour, with no other programs running (other than the normal
background processes).  When I came back to my machine,
setup.exe responded to an attempt to drag the title bar.  But
then I could do nothing else with the machine.  Even trying
to load solitaire gave me the message "insufficient memory;
try unloading other programs."  So obviously something was
going on with setup.exe consuming memory.  There was no
disk thrashing.  I waited another fifteen minutes then killed
setup.exe.

I assume that what setup.exe is doing at this point is
extracting sh.exe from the ash-20020731-1.tar.bz2 archive.
Is that correct?  How does the extract process work?  What
program does the extraction?  Setup.exe?  Or something
else?  And why isn't there a setup log somewhere?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Phil