Re: [avail for test] cvs-1.11.5-1

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Only tested binary/binary, I'm afraid.
>>
>> I've never liked the idea of using 2 characters where 1 will do. I even
use
>> Unix line endings in non-Cygwin text files.
>>
>> One possible idea: Link it with binmode.o until someone contributes a
patch
>> to apply correct binary/text/default opens in the source.
>
> Well, the problem is that's not how cvs is supposed to work.  As I
> understand it, files in the repository should ALWAYS be stored with unix
> line-endings (the term "binary" is slightly misleading in this context,
> as -kb "store in binary form" means to cvs "don't replace $foo$ tokens
> like $Id$ and $Revision$").

Um, no -ko means that. -kb DOES mean store in binary form.

> And files in the local working directory should follow "the system
> convention" -- which I take to mean "use the mount mode" -- but only
> when the files contain text.  Fortunately, cvs assumes that all files
> contain text unless explicitly informed that they are binary data, via
> the -kb flag.  Thus,
>
>              repository          working dir
>               access               access
> read:        unix         use mount mode unless -kb
> write:       unix         use mount mode unless -kb

Well, yeah, my suggestion was to use binmode.o *until* someone actually does
a patch to do the above.

> (fortunately, the "should I interpret/replace $foo$" stuff is handled in
> a separate codepath from the "should I use O_BINARY to fopen this file")
>
> Now IF existing repositories do NOT follow this convention (e.g.
> somebody has \r\n in text files in their repository) then upgrading to a
> cvs that DOES follow the convention will lead to all manner of FAQs
> ("cvs diff says every line has changed! cvs sucks!)

Lets hope that no one is trying to use -kb in such a situation.
But yes, status quo is probably better, since there don't seem to be any
complaints about the current behaviour.

Max.