latest update on Re: [EXTREMELY OFF-TOPIC] The sad state of cgf's existing new laptop

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:31:17AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:48:55PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

For those keeping score on this saga, here is the latest: A week or so
ago the PayPal person that someone here put me in touch with gave me the
contact info from PayPal.  The phone number given was for an abortion
clinic in Sayreville, NJ.  Whoopee.

Enough time has now passed that I can finally file a formal claim with
eBay.  Actually, I probably could have done that a week or so ago.  So,
I've done that.  Now in another month I can maybe get my $175 of
insurance.  Whee.

A couple of people have suggested that I could contact the FBI about
this.  Can anyone confirm or deny this fact?  Does anyone here know
precisely the right path to follow here?  Would contacting the
Sayreville police department help?  I'm a little discouraged and gun shy
about this ordeal but I really have to steel myself to keep moving
forward and doing the right thing.  Even if I can't recover my money, it
would be satisfying to see the guy fined or in jail, or whatever happens
to scum like this.

And, again, thank you to all whose charity I have received.  As I said,
now when I tell the story of my stupidity to people, I have an amazing
twist to the whole scenario.  To me, it brings a whole new meaning to
term "free software community".

As I have intimated this is a particularly bad time for me right now.
This incident came in the middle of a number of crises.  As seems to be
so often the case, this problem, which would have been enough of an
annoyance was just one of many and, in some ways, it was the least of my
worries.  Still, the thought of being scammed in this way does hit me
on a daily basis.

Anyway, enough this off-topic self-pity.  Thanks again, and again, I'm
asking for advice on how to proceed.  A few people have sent me email
about near misses that they've experienced on eBay.  I'm wondering how
common my story is and if there is actually a number of people in a
similar boat.  I'm wondering if this is a Slashdot-worthy story...

cgf