Re: running setup does nothing

Igor, et al --

...and then Igor Pechtchanski said...
%
% On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, David T-G wrote:
%
% > What are the minimum system requirements for setup?  I have a Win95 PC
% > happens; I get an hourglass and then as soon as I move the mouse it
% > changes back to a pointer.
%
% AFAIK, setup runs under Win95.  128M RAM shouldn't be a problem.  Disk
% space might be, but setup will not use up 60M of space before it even pops
% up the window, so that shouldn't matter.

That's what I would figure.

%
% Come to think of it, *does* setup show a window?  If it does, which stage

Nope.  I double-click setup in Win Explorer, the cursor changes to an
hourglass and the hard drive may or may not whisper, and then nothing
happens.  I've left it alone for up to half a minute or so waiting and it
stays a little hourglass, and then whenever I move the mouse it goes back
to a pointer.

% to you get to by the time an hourglass appears?  If not, please post the
% output of "dir setup.exe" from the command prompt.  Does the *same*

Heh...  I have to type this in by hand, of course...  It's timestamped
the night when I pulled it down, and the size is 259,072.

% executable run on another machine (I'm thinking binary/ascii transfer
% problems)?

Dunno; I don't have another Win machine around :-)  But I copied my old
setup program from CD (having tried to run it from there and then run it
from a temp dir) and used Mozilla to pull down the current one, so I'm
positive the former and comfortably confident the latter shouldn't have
any translation problems.

%
% IIRC, Win95 was notoriously lacking tools for program monitoring and

Yeah.  Ugh.

% debugging.  Perhaps someone actually using it may be able to help.

That would be nice :-)

Thanks & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * society and not sufficient moral courage.