RE: Changes to default profile

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cgf@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 9:33 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Changes to default profile

>On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:21:43AM -0700, Lafond, Kenneth G wrote:
>>Me too!

>I don't know precisely what you're trying to say here, but if you think
>that my response was a "me too", you're wrong.  I'm responsible for this
>mailing list and I was taking it upon myself to make sure that you, and
>others, recognize that this is a general policy rather than a John
>Morrison preference.

I do realize that, which is why my original email requested the proper
contact.  John answered my question as asked and already indicated that
emailing the maintainer directly was inappropriate.

>FWIW, assuming that every nugget of information you need is in the FAQ
>and ignoring the rest of the web site is really counterindicated.

Check the original email - I didn't ignore the rest of the site.  After
reading the rest of the site I saw no listing of who to contact with input
to the profile file specifically.  I'm now quoting from the site
(http://cygwin.com/contrib.html):

"First, note that our team only maintains the winsup directory (but can also
make changes to newlib as well). If you have patches for other tools, it
would be a tremendous help to the project if you send patches to the
maintainers of the tools themselves, cc'ing the cygwin mailing list. The
tool maintainers are usually easy to find in the documentation that comes
with the source code of the tool (README, ChangeLog, WHO, etc.)."

I looked through the docs included Cygwin as requested and still not seeing
how to tell which package the profile file came from, I asked the list who
the proper contact was.  If the maintainers aren't to be included in the
list of possible contacts, the above paragraph as worded seems
counterproductive.

Ken