Re: Tracing down problem when compiling GCC 3.3 under cygwin PR 10626

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 07:48:07PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
>I am experiencing an intermittant problem when compiling GCC 3.3
>under CygWin.
>
>When I reported it to the GCC guys, I was asked to elaborate
>but my CygWin/Linux skills are too limited to be of much help.
>

>Basically there is a GCC script "install-sh" that fails intermittantely
>under CygWin.
>
>Please find more information in GCC bug-report.
>
>http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl
>
>PR 10626

>Here is a bit more information that probably illustrates the problems
>that
>install-sh is running into under CygWin:
>
>Session from CygWin shell. "cp" understands the ".exe" extensions,
>but "mv" gets confused.
>
>oharboe@lair ~
>$ ls
>arm       armscripts  ecos        gcc-install.log  gcc33      mingw
>src
>armgdb32  armsize     foobar.exe  gcc-make.log     gdbtk.ini  scripts
>
>oharboe@lair ~
>$ mv foobar barfoo
>mv: preserving times for `barfoo': No such file or directory
>mv: preserving ownership for `barfoo': No such file or directory
>mv: cannot unlink `foobar': No such file or directory
>mv: cannot remove `foobar': No such file or directory
>
>oharboe@lair ~
>$ cp foobar barfoo
>
>oharboe@lair ~
>$
>

>       http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=3Dview%20audit-trail&database=3D=
>cc&pr=3D10626=20
>

>=D8yvind

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bajo
State-Changed-When: Tue May  6 10:59:02 2003
State-Changed-Why:
>   Would you please elaborate on how this is a GCC bug?
>   It looks more like a Cygwin bug to me...

AFAICT, install-sh should never be asked to install an executable which
lacks an .exe when the executable was built with a .exe extension.  So,
the fact that sometimes it "works" is a red herring.  As you noted, cp
has limited support for copying .exe files and mv has none.  It really
is up to gcc to accommodate that by specifying the .exe extension in all
cases.  That's the whole point of having an install-sh script.  It's
supposed to be accommodating of system pecularities.

cgf