Re: Include cygipc in the distribution (was Re: cygipc (and PostgreSQL)XP problem resolved!)

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:25:00 -0400
> From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
> To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> Subject: Include cygipc in the distribution (was Re: cygipc (and
>     PostgreSQL) XP problem resolved!)
>
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 01:47:26PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >Thanks to help from Frank Seesink, I was able to finally figure out why
> >cygipc and in turn PostgreSQL failed to work properly under XP in
> >certain situations.  See the attached for some of the details.
> >
> >In summary, invoking the XP Fast User Switching feature causes XP to
> >start using multiple kernel object namespaces instead of a single global
> >one.  This in turn causes cygipc clients to fail to find a global
> >semaphore (i.e., \BaseNamedObjects\MultiSemSem_) created by ipc-daemon
> >and abort.
> >
> >Are you willing to accept a cygipc patch to correct this problem?
>
> Since we no longer seem to have a cygwin-daemon maintainer, I'm wondering
> if it is time to start including cygipc in the main distribution.  It
> seems like the lack of this functionality is a real handicap to people.
>
> FWIW, I'm willing to take over maintainership if that is a barrier.

I've been working on cygwin-daemon over the last couple of months, but due
to lack of time then, I didn't get much done.

At the moments I've just been planning functionality, like being able to
switch user context and propogating the token. After I release
libxml2/libxslt on Friday, I could start working on this properly.

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney
Ubertales Sys Admin