Re: cygwin's exit status / errorlevel

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:26:45AM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:41:59AM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>>

>>>Why is cygwin's exitstatus seen by "windows" as an errorlevel 256 times
>>>bigger?
>>>

>>This question is answered right in the first few sentences of the main
>>cygwin web pag
>>
>I guess you meant that it "acts as a Linux emulation layer providing
>substantial Linux API functionality" and a correct Linux API should
>return exidcode in the high byte?
>
>I was mainly referring to the strangeness that windows errorlevel is set
>correct but executing from Mozilla does not... anyway, I guess enigmail
>people should continue on their "let's convert any 256 errorcode to 2
>and assume it is cygwin's fault".

Yeah, it's cygwin's "fault" for assuming that it should be compliant
with UNIX.  While you're at it, remind everyone that it is cygwin's
fault that signals don't work the same way as on Windows, it seems to
insist on those pesky '/' characters in file names, it confusingly
treats certain files as "symbolic links", it strangely treats other
files as "unix domain sockets", and, of course, when you program using
it, it seems to contain all sorts of extraneous function calls like
open, fcntl, sigprocmask, etc.

Cygwin is just a mess that way.

cgf