Re: Please help!

Peter,

Please don't cross-post to cygwin and cygwin-apps.  If you're not
sure where to post, send to cygwin and you'll be directed from there
if your question is not appropriate.  I understand your issues stem
from your installation so you feel that this might be a setup bug/issue
but straddling these two list isn't worthwhile.  Anyone reading cygwin-apps
is going to read cygwin too so there's no point to increasing the
bandwidth here.  I've adjusted the return address to the cygwin list.

Comments in-line below.

Peter Davis wrote:
Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> wrote in Xns936E679AF108Fpdworldstdcom@80.91.224.249:">news:Xns936E679AF108Fpdworldstdcom@80.91.224.249:

I have two systems running Cygwin: an NT4 (home) machine and a XP
(work) machine.  I've tried to make them as similar as possible, but
there are apparently some differences that elude me.  Specifically:

1) At home (NT4), .bashrc is automatically run when I fire up a bash
  shell.  At work, it doesn't, though I can manually run it with
  source ~/.bashrc

2) At home (NT4), the simple perl script I use to filter mutt messages
  before displaying them works beautifully.  At work (XP), the
  messages all display with ^M at the end of every line.  (This is
  recent ... since I just re-installed Cygwin on this machine.  It
  *used* to work.)

3) At home, mutt has no trouble telling me which MH mailboxes contain
  new mail.  At work, however, this function of mutt doesn't work.
  Once I open the mailbox, the new messages are correctly marked with
  'N', but when I attempt to change mailboxes, mutt doesn't prompt me
  as it should.

I've compared the output from 'cygcheck -s -v' on the two machines,
but I didn't see anything obvious.  (The work machine has more
packages installed.)  Can anyone suggest what might be responsible for
these quirks?

Currently, the NT4 (home) machine is working *better* than the XP
(work) one.  Since I'll be upgrading the home machine to a new box
running XP shortly, I'd like to find out what's going on.

I've had two people ask to see the output of `cygcheck -svr` on both machines, which I dutifully posted to this list. No response.

This problem has now gotten more urgent because I'm trying to move the home setup onto a new XP system. Same results: everything which works on my NT4 setup does *not* work on the new XP setup. I would really love to know what the key Cygwin setup issues are, so I can fix this. Please help!

One difference seems to be with Perl. When I write to stdout from Perl, it uses DOS/Windows line endings (^M^J) instead of Unix ones. So all the nifty Perl scripts that I call from mutt, such as the display_filter, don't work. I did choose Unix text files when I installed Cygwin, and everything is mounted in binmode. As far as I can tell, other applications are working correctly, but Perl isn't. If I disable the mutt display_filter, mutt displays messages just fine. With the (Perl) filter enabled, though, I get ^M at the end of every line.

Also, for some reason mutt can't detect which mailboxes have new messages on this system, but it can on the old NT4 system. Any clues about that?

Yeah.  Search the Cygwin email archives for Perl and PERLIO.  There's been
discussions about this issue recently.  I expect either or both of
these keys will lead you to them.

Another thing: For some reason, mutt can't find some of the Perl scripts I've been using, even though I can see them and cat them from the shell prompt.

Can anyone give me a clue what's happening here? I'm tearing my hair out.

Ouch! ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746