Re: howto change home path in /etc/passwd

Surlignage Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>:

> On Mon, 12 May 2003 Sylvain.Ferriol@imag.fr wrote:
>
> > Surlignage Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>:

> /etc/passwd
> > >
> > > Use an editor to edit /etc/passwd (as has been suggested).  Mind the
> line
> > > endings (I think).
> >
> > no my question is to do this automatically
> > because when the admin has installed cygwin on a computer, it adds users
> > and each users has to define the variable HOME,
> > but if they use ssh, they have to chang /etc/passwd too.
> >
> > i want to create a install file which update automatically /etc/passwd,
> puts defaults files (bashrc, inputrc,...)
> > i see that there is the mkpasswd command but it doesn't do what i want
> >
> > do you know when /etc/passwd is created???
> >
> > sylvain
>
> /etc/passwd is normally created (along with /etc/group) when setup runs
> the passwd-grp.sh postinstall script.  The program that actually creates
> the passwd entries is called mkpasswd, and it sets the home directory to
> /home/<username> by default.
>
> One thing you can do is create symbolic links (or, better yet, user
> mounts) from /home/<username> to that user's $HOME.  That way, you will
> not have to change /etc/passwd at all.

OK but do you know how to get the username because in the cygwin terminal
echo $USER or echo $USERNAME works
but i 'm using a file install.bat which calls 'bash.exe instal.sh'
and in install.sh:

echo $USER....nothing
echo $USERNAME....nothing

any suggestions???