Re: redistributing cygwin1.dll

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 05:13:54PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > From what I read on the mailing list, I am infringing the GPL
> > > doing so.
> >
> > Yes, you are not compliant with the GPL.
> > (...)
> > I haven't had the time to implement anything special.  Your simplest
> > solution is just to make sure that the sources for your applications
> > are downloadable and that the source code (e.g.,
> > cygwin-1.3.22-src.tar.bz2) for the cygwin DLL you are providing is
> > also available.  It really isn't that hard.
>
> Not that I find it hard, but it's probably much trouble for nothing.

How is it much trouble? Just download the latest dll and sources.

> I really think you should do something about this. Forcing people to
> make the source available has the following drawbacks IMHO:

If you don't like the GPL, this is not the place to talk about it.
The license is there. You may comply, which is really quite simple, or
you may not redistribute cygwin. If you think the GPL should have a
clause for other Free software projects not needing to have a copy of
the sources for another project's binaries, contact the Free Software
Foundation. Maybe they'll put it in the GPLv3, though I doubt it since
it really is a good idea to have the source to everything you're using.

> So, I really believe you should set a place up where people can get the
> latest version of cygwin1.dll, in binary and source forms. A simple or
> http directory would do it, if you don't want to make it very public and
> advertise for it. Authors like me would then just have to link to the
> directory, sparing disk space and protecting the GPL.

These are called 'mirrors', and they're already listed at
<http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>. If all you want is the cygwin1.dll file,
download the cygwin-X.X-X.tar.bz2 package. There are some other tools in
there, but it only totals about 1MB. But if you let people download it from
your site, you must also include the cygwin-X.X-X-src.tar.bz2 just like the
mirrors do.

> Comments welcome.

Same here.