Re: docbook xml toolchain

Hi Andreas,

glad to hear that you managed to get the latest passivetex alive & kickin on cygwin. Just for completeness, here are the answers to your questions:

Andreas schrieb:

Hmmm, sounds good, I guess /bin/fmtutil needs to be patched, right? There are other files related to fmtutil.cnf: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.cygwin-dist /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.cygwin-orig /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.orig

Actually, the file's name is fmtutil.cnf, but Windows strangely doesn't give you its extension. Leave the other ones alone. They are not used.

Let´s assume that I found the lines that needs a fix and put this in
DocbookCygwinFmtutil.diff, does a simple
patch -N -u /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf DocbookCygwinFmtutil.diff
would be sufficient or should I rerun your script (further dependencies in
the process of buliding the passivetex stuff?)?

You have to call

mktexlsr
texconfig confall
texconfig rehash
texconfig init

after patching, otherwise your modifications won't be reflected in tex's configuration tables.

Would a second, third,... run of your install script potentially break
things that were created at the first run?

No, if patch (the executable) realizes that a patch has already been applied, it ignores it. You can safely rerun a patch.

[snip]

I just converted the fo file into pdf using fop and it is nicely formatted.

My impression based on the feedback on the docbook-apps mailing list is that fop gets more development than passivetex. But I could be completely wrong about this. I haven't done any serious pdf generation. I had just set up the docbook pdf toolchain once and gave it a couple of tests. Which one (fop/passivetex) gives you the better results?

Cheers, Patrick