RE: Renaming YELLER'S directories to something less aloud (Was: case sensitivity and filenames)

> From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]

--8<--

--8<--

> $ cd; find . -type f -maxdepth 1 | xargs grep -iH CYGWIN

$ cd; find . -type f -maxdepth 1 | xargs grep -iHc CYGWIN
./.bash_history:62
./.rm_bc_paths:0
./.inputrc:0
./.profile:2
./.vimrc:0
./.adtrc:0
./.Xauthority:0
./.Xdefaults:0
./.bash_logout:1
./.viminfo:0

Hannu@P450 ~
$ cat .profile | grep -i CYGWIN
if [ -f /cygwin.mnt ]
  source /cygwin.mnt

Hannu@P450 ~
$ cat .bash_logout | grep -i CYGWIN
mount -m >cygwin.mnt

 Hmm... came to think of it... those things might not be the best thing to
have there... but what the heck. It makes it possible to run the same
installation from both W2K server and W98SE ;-}
 This last fact might also be a source for my trouble with check_case...
 'cygcheck -svr' output attached for that reason.
 All this has been happening after launching cygwin from Win2K. Haven't
tried it from Win98.

 Check for 'CYGWIN' in /etc/* appended below. (nothing alarming there)

--8<--
> If you fix the first problem (i.e., setting "check_case:strict"), mv will
> complain on attempting to move something into a directory if the case is
> not exact, e.g., "mv AAA aaa" will fail with
>
> mv: cannot create directory `aaa': Filename exists with different
> caseIllegal byte sequenceValue too large for defined data type
>
> (so ok, there's a bug in mv's error printing code :-D)

 =)
  That could help find the right place to patch mv, or wouldn't it?

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden, 59?14'N, 17?12'E. >17?C
average/day now.
--

Hannu@P450 /etc
$ grep -HciR CYGWIN * | grep -v ':0'

X11/xkb/xkbcomp.exe:1
csh.cshrc:1
csh.login:2
defaults/etc/profile:1
defaults/etc/DIR_COLORS:2
grep: hosts: No such file or directory
exim.conf:4
exim.conf.default:4
inittab:1
mlock.exe:1
postinstall/exim.sh.done:2
postinstall/iu-config.sh.done:1
postinstall/post-texmf.sh.done:8
postinstall/gcc-mingw.sh.done:2
postinstall/gcc-mingw-3.2-20020817-1.tar:3
postinstall/sysvinit.sh.done:3
postinstall/initscripts.sh.done:3
postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh.done:5
postinstall/xinetd.sh.done:2
postinstall/cygwin-doc-postinstall.sh.done:11
preremove/cygwin-doc-preremove.sh:19
profile.d/bindkey.tcsh:1
rc.d/init.d/functions:1
setup/last-cache:1
setup/last-mirror:2
setup/installed.db:2
termcap:2

Hannu@P450 /etc
$ grep -Hi CYGWIN csh.cshrc csh.login defaults/etc/profile inittab
profile.d/bindkey.tcsh rc.d/init.d/functions
csh.cshrc:# Example /etc/csh.cshrc for Cygwin
csh.login:# Example /etc/csh.login for Cygwin
csh.login:  set TERM=cygwin
defaults/etc/profile:# Patches to Cygwin always appreciated ;)
inittab:# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE (SIGINT on cygwin)
profile.d/bindkey.tcsh:# Example bindkey.tcsh which binds some of the common
xterm/linux/cygwin
rc.d/init.d/functions:# Cygwin hack:    Sergey Okhapkin
<sos@prospect.com.ru>

Hannu@P450 /etc
$

--END OF MESSAGE--