Re: SPARSE files considered harmful - please revert

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/sparse_file_operations.asp

>>> The most interesting thing is that a sparse file is only sparse if the
>> zeros
>>> in the file are written with a special operation. I strongly suspect
that
>>> the patch to support sparse files introduced in cygwin is incorrect (or
at
>>> least incomplete)
>>
>> Areas that are simply seeked over, and never written to, should be sparse
as
>> well.
>
> Not only they "should be", they are.
>
>> Anyway:
>>
>> Based on the posted numbers, global use of sparse files is a bad idea.
Can
>> we conditionalize sparse files on a $CYGWIN option? (Or something else, I
>> don't mind, but the important thing is that it should not be on by
default.)

> Why not make in on by default *when it can help*, i.e. when the write()
> leaves holes?

Does anyone know of any programs which write non-sparse files, but not
contiguously? If there are none, then this approach should be fine.

In any case, the $CYGWIN approach could be a valid temporary measure until
someone writes the heuristic code.

Max.