DirectX and Cygwin

I know this has come up a few times in the past - I've just spent the last
couple of hours reading the archives - but I haven't found anything that
will actually solve the problem yet...

I'm starting to play around with DirectX programming. I've just downloaded
the DX9 C++ SDK, and discovered that I can't use it under Cygwin quite as
easily as I'd hoped. Compiling works fine, but linking complains that it
can't find the functions in the libraries. I know that it's finding the
libraries because I tried moving d3d9.lib and then got a different error.

As far as I can tell, g++/ld is trying to find Direct3DCreate9@4 in the
library, when in fact it's called Direct3DCreate9. Also, as far as I can
tell it should be able to cope with this because I've tried using
the --enable-stdcall-fixup flag for ld, but with the exact same errors.

Basically what I'm after is if anyone knows how to either link against the
VC++ libraries properly, or else a way of producing my own GCC libraries
from these ones. One of the archive messages had a little script involving
nm, sed and dlltool which produced libraries I could link against fine, but
couldn't actually run the program with because all of the function pointers
were to 0x00000000 instead of real addresses.

Any help would be much appreciated
--
Graham Cox
3rd year BSc/AI Student