Re: echo and CYGWIN variable

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Whenever you redirect to a file, the mount table is consulted, and the
> > appropriate mode is selected (i.e., CYGWIN has no effect).  If you use
> > Win32 paths, there are no entries in the mount table, so I'm not quite
> > sure what's going on.
> Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but I thought this worked like this:
> 1) d:/foo -> /cygdrive/d/foo
> 2) look in mount table
> the mount type (bin or text) is whatever the parent of /cygdrive/d/foo is,
> which is /cygdrive/d -> /cygdrive -> /
> if / is binmode, (and there's nothing between /cygdrive/d/foo and / in the
> mount table), /cygdrive/d/foo is binmode.
>
> But please, enlighten me if this is not how it works :)
>
> > You could try using backslashes instead of forward slashes (I think
> > those force textmode),
> If so, where does this:
> d:\\foo -> d:/foo -> /cygdrive/d/foo
> break?
>
> rlc

That's not quite how it works, Ronald.  You were right in tracing back to
/cygdrive, but you should have realized that /cygdrive is a mount in
itself, and it will not get further reduced to "/".  So, if you use the
/cygdrive/d syntax, it will use the mode on the /cygdrive mount.  If you
use the d:\\ syntax, the files will be opened using raw Win32 calls, and
who knows what the mode will be (ISTR that it defaults to text).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu