Re: Complete install failure for 'ordinary' install on WinXp usingsetup.exe

AWLaFramboise@aol.com wrote:
Hi,

I have some kind of catastrophic install failure using
current setup.exe (2.340.2.5) on Windows XP for what would
seem to me to be an ordinary install.

I have installed cygwin previously (but not within 6 months
or so), so I deleted my old cygwin install first.

Please explain exactly what you did here.

I downloaded the current setup.exe from the webpage a few
days ago, and began downloading the full cygwin distribution
using the 'Download from Internet' option, selecting the
'All' option instead of 'Default,' from the mirror
ftp://mirror.averse.net (the first one I found that worked).

After several download sessions (I interrupted the download
a few times in between), I re-ran setup.exe with 'Install from
Local Directory,' again with the 'All' option on the base
catagory.

Everything went fine, and all md5sums checked out, until
postinstall.  All of these console windows flashed by,
and it seemed every one of them I could read had all sorts
of errors, such as missing ls, rm, etc.  Testing the Cygwin
installation afterwards, it seemed to be unusable and
pretty much completely broken.

The setup program itself had reported no errors, other than
whatever I saw in the postinstall console windows.

C:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log seems ordinary enough: no
errors are reported.

However, one odd thing I notice by examining the installation
is that I can't find ls.exe or rm.exe.  They are not
in c:\bin, and no c:\usr\bin exists.

Should they be?  Setup will certainly warn you if you tell it
to install in C:\.  If you got no such warning, more than likely
you actually installed in a subdirectory of C:\.

I have no idea where to begin on this.  Can someone
help me out?

I suspect mount problems but I really can't be very sure of
anything without the appropriate information.  See
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746