Weirdnesses

What is going on with the CYGWIN1.DLL version?  The version it reports to
me is: 1.3.22-dontuse-21  (??)  I re-installed the cygwin package from
setup just to make sure.

Also, when I connect with ssh through to a local port forwarding, every
keystroke I type results in a new socket created on the local host.

Running Windows 98 with the latest versions of everything including the
latest openssh patch.

I noticed that there was a discussion about a year back on extra
listening sockets being opened by ssh/sshd on the localhost and I am
seeing this, with every connection there is an extra unprivileged port
opened on the localhost for listening, along with the brand-new socket
for each keypress.

Any ideas?  I'll be glad to provide any additional config info if needed.