getting cron to work -> status too large for sendmail?

I was trying to get cron to work -- it looks like it is
invoking something on a regular basis, however, it is also
trying to send the 1 line of output of cron job to the owner.

In the process it includes the entire environment (in this case
of the user who started cron, me). It includes the environment
as Header lines:
...[78 more lines of Environment Variable listing]

This causes sendmail to fail since apparently sendmail has a 4000
character limit in the header.

I don't know that I've seen cron include the entire environment
as header lines before.  Is that normal behavior?

Am I just exceptionally 'lucky' in that I've hit an obscure limit
in sendmail or is this a limitation of sendmail on cygwin?

Any ideas where I should start to address this would be appreciated.
It seems slightly kludgey to, say write a manual script to clear
out the environment, but I dunno -- no more kludgy than hard
coding a 4000 character header limit...

-linda