Re: Output suppressed on certain program through ssh

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:58:50AM -0500, Crispin Bivans wrote:
>At first, I was having a problem seeing DOS output from a program
>(psadmin.exe) when trying to run it through a Cygwin shell session.
>The symptom was that a full administrator account could see it, but
>other user accounts (even ones that had Local Admin rights) could not
>see the stdout characters.  The same behavior was exhibited through ssh
>sessions to that box.
>
>I fixed that problem by changing my CYGWIN variable to just 'ntsec' and
>leaving off the 'tty' setting.  Now the program works great through
>cygwin shell sessions.
>
>But the problem still persists through ssh sessions of it suppressing
>the stdout.  I did a registry edit to fix the Environment variable
>CYGWIN for the sshd service and restarted the service.  I confirmed
>through the ssh session that it now only uses 'ntsec' for its CYGWIN.
>
>I tried to use strace on it, but the trace file always shows up with no
>output.
>
>What else can I do to troubleshoot this further or make the stdout of
>this program work through ssh sessions?

When you are using ptys, as ssh does, you are using CYGWIN=tty by
default.  There is no way around this.  Cygwin's tty emulation uses the
same mechanism as the pty mechanism.  If your application doesn't like
outputting to a cygwin pty or tty then you're probably out of luck.

It's remotely possible that the newest cygwin snapshot may fix your problem.
Go to the cygwin web page and click on "Snapshots" and download a new dll
to try it.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org