Re: Sparse file criteria malfunction - binutils produces sparse .exe & .dll files

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I did the same here and I've added the block count which shows how much
> blocks has been wasted by being a sparse file:
>
>  188 -rwxr-xr-x    1 corinna  root       191765 Jun  6 09:55 ./ftp/ftp.exe
> Sparse bit 200
>  497 -rwxr-xr-x    1 corinna  root       508186 Jun  6 09:55
./ftpd/ftpd.exe
> Sparse bit 200
>  748 -rwxr-xr-x    1 corinna  root       765264 Jun  6 09:55
./inetd/inetd.exe
> Sparse bit 200
> So there's no waste of blocks at all.

In my testing of sparse files, I found that the extra disc usage did not
appear to be reported in Explorer File Properties "Size on Disc", but was
visible in the overall Disc Properties, by looking at the change in free
space.

I'm not saying blocks are definitely being wasted in the above case - just
that the data above does not conclusively prove that there is no waste.

I have no time right now, but I will try a test using df to investigate this
later.

Max.