Re: Distributed Cygwin DLL's (fwd)

Does his zip file contain written notice that he will provide the
source if requested for a period of at least 3 years?

Either way, I think this guy is setting himself up for a fall if
he's not archiving versions of the source. You can't get a copy of
3 year old Cygwin source for an arbitrary (or any) distribution from cygwin.com. Perhaps someone else is archiving each release for the
past three years for his benefit. I'm skeptical of that though.

Larry

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
Before I reply (privately) the bellow is not sufficient, is it?

have a link where a user can download a zip file named 'cygwin-dll.zip', which
contains, among other files, the Cygwin library (cygwin1.dll). You are also
distributing Cygwin shared libraries for Ncurses and GNU Readline, and as far as
I could tell, no sources to accompany those binaries.

Are you aware that the GPL requires that you make such sources available?

Yes. The source code is publicly available on a number sites. The
binaries are built using unmodified versions of the source code
provided by the copyright holder(s). AFAIK the GPL requires that
you make the source available upon request. If someone requests the
source code I will be happy to give a pointer to the source code on
another site, place it on a server on my own for downloading, send
it by email or burn it on a CD and snailmail the CD.

Regards,
Bjorn

Holliston, MA 01746