colons with rsync

I am trying to rsync from a SCO box to a Windows 2000 server as a
(temporary) backup while I build a more suitable Linux backup server.
Rsync on SCO reports errors such as the following:

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir
"var/opt/K/SCO/MMDF/2.43.3b/spool/mail/:saved": No such file or
directory (2)
stat var/opt/K/SCO/MMDF/2.43.3b/spool/mail/:saved : No such file or
directory

I know this has to do with the colons in the directory/file names.  All
of the files that have this error have colons in the path somewhere.

They are both a recent version, 2.5.6  protocol version 26.  I guess
another snafu is that my cygwin install is very basic, cygwin-lite with
ssh and rsync.

Does rsync convert between Windows/Unix filenames automatically in
instances such as this?  Is there a way to use cygpath to get around
this limitation?  Thanks in advance for your help.

-Ben Smith
bendees@cox.net