Re: stderr outputs veerrrryyy slowly

Brian Dessent wrote:

Larry Hall wrote:

Nope. :-)

Works for me fine either way.  Perhaps providing information
requested by <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> will shed some light.
Perhaps not.

You could try it with strace and post the results too.

Ok, attached should be the cygcheck -srv output.  Also, the strace log
for running "tidy" on a html file is at
<http://www.dessent.net/tmp/strace.txt>  It's pretty big, about 17000
lines.  Of interest are two things:

Running it under strace fixes the problem (!!) more or less.  The output
is much faster, although not quite as fast as you would expect for
console output:

time strace -o strace.out tidy -o foo test.html
real    0m4.640s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.020s

time tidy -o foo test.html
real    0m39.301s
user    0m0.070s
sys     0m0.020s

OK, I have been able to reproduce this to some extent.  I'm using
'curl -o /dev/null http://www.google.com' which times in at about
1.5 to 2 seconds with 'tty' and about .5 seconds without.  I don't
have any additional data at this point but I thought I'd "chime in"
with a "me too", since I know that's what this list is all about. ;-)
Actually, I wanted to let Brian and any others know that this
doesn't appear to be specific to their configuration.  If I find out
more, I'll report back.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746