Re: cygwin and the rest of the Windows

Matthew (Ling?),

In your case 1, it looks like you ran that command from bash.  It's pretty
obvious why it didn't work - bash needs POSIX paths.  You had unquoted
spaces, which bash interpreted as argument separators, and it also
interpreted backslashes as escapes.  You should have run that command from
a cmd prompt.

I also warned you that the name of the script will be passed in Win32
form, and you'd need to use cygpath to convert it to POSIX.  The file that
worked for me (I actually created one that works this time) was:

@echo off
c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c "/usr/bin/perl `/bin/cygpath -u '%1'`"

You can add similar conversions for %2..%9, but I don't think they're
necessary in your particular case (i.e., a file handler for the .pl
extension).  You may not need the "--login" - try running without it, that
will keep you in the same directory.  Oh, and the '#!' line would be
ignored in this case, and the dispatch will be done by Windows Explorer
based solely on the .pl extension.

As for case 2, you might have to play similar games, but in the
association mechanism.  Something like

c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c "`cygpath -u '%s'`"

(I don't have the exact incantation, you may need to read up on the
Windows Explorer mechanism for this).

Case 3 is actually a subcase of 1 - simply associate the .pl file with
perl.bat, and you should be able to run it (as long as perl.bat is
correct).  You might wish to keep the "@echo off" out of the .bat file
while you're debugging it, to know exactly what parameters bash gets.
	Igor

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu