Re: Need cygwin usage statistics

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:01:06PM -0600, Robert Mecklenburg wrote:
>I'm sorry to bother the list with this, but I don't know where to
>turn.  Would any of the cygwin maintainers like to give a rough
>estimate of the number of cygwin users?  I realize from:
>
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-10/msg00177.html
>
>that actual download stats aren't available, but that doesn't mean you
>don't have some general idea of the number of users.

What's this?  Plumbing the archives for information and finding an
appropriate message to quote?  I wonder if that will catch on.

Here is a typical weekly download summary for cygwin:

Project name      Total bytes HTTP bytes  HTTP files  FTP bytes  FTP files
----------------- ----------- ---------- ----------- ---------- ----------
/cygwin               4387.5M    3607.0M      227888     780.4M       2725

Probably doesn't mean much, though, since ftp downloads are blocked.
The files downloaded figure is always the highest on sources.redhat.com.
The download stats are usually in the top four or five, despite the fact
that ftp is blocked.  This must be due to the number of mirror sites
that cygwin enjoys.  There were 22163 cygwin-related hits of
cygwin-related web pages last week.

>From the http log files, it seems that setup.exe has been accessed at
least 1,720,293 times since the beginning of this year.  It is actually
more than that since we had a little bit of a foulup with log file
rotation when I (or actually Red Hat Network) upgraded
sources.redhat.com to apache v2 earlier in the year.  There's no way of
knowing how many of those are first time installs and how many are
refreshes, unfortunately.

Hmm.  1317 subscribers to the cygwin mailing list.  527 subscribers to
the cygwin-xfree mailing list.  There were 283 messages sent to the
cygwin mailing list last week.  That was slightly low as weeks go.
cygwin is usually third or fourth for number of posts and first or
second in amount of bandwidth used (probably those cygcheck
attachments?).

I can't think of any other way to get download stats.  It would be sort
of interesting to have setup.exe log this information somewhere but
probably not worth the net bandwidth or the publicity of "Red Hat's
Cygwin logs users' sensitive information to corporate web site."

If I think of any other useful information, I'll post it.

cgf