how to use current directory as bash startup directory

Can bash "inherit" the working directory setting from the process that
invoked bash instead of always setting its initial working directory
(to the user's home directory)?

On Unix, Emacs' "shell" command gets me a shell whose working directory
is set based on what I was editing.

However, when I use NTEmacs' "shell" command to start a Cygwin bash shell,
bash always sets its initial working directory to my home directory.

Can I configure bash to leave the working directory set as it was when
bash was started?

Thanks,
Daniel