RE: mysqlc (was RE: php-mysql-cygwin how to)

Right, the fact that mysqlc was an "extra" in the Win32 dist. was obvious.
The fact that it didn't work under a cygwin bash shell was not so obvious,
and the reason is still as unclear.

> > Even if it
> > did, it still doesn't get us to the point where we can use Perl and PHP
> > under Cygwin, right?
>
> Of course. Once you have the client lib you can then install and
> use DBD::mysql
> and php_mysql.

And many others.

> > Also, why bother getting a server to run under Cygwin? It runs
> under Windows
> > just fine. Getting it to run under Cygwin under Windows seems
> like a lot of
> > busy work to little end. The only important thing is that the
> client works
> > so we can use the Perl DBI, PHP and other various client
> interfaces. Or am I
> > missing something?
>
> It's the same argument for Apache, PostgreSQL, Perl etc, etc. I
> suppose it's not
> really needed, but some people might like to "play". :-)

Ok. I was thinking of cygwin in terms of a development environment for Linux
based web apps. As far as PostgreSQL running under Win32, unless things have
changed, I thought cygwin IS the only way. The others are strictly necessary
for this type of devel. MySQL is not. I guess what threw me off was when
someone said they were going to "drop" what they were working on to get the
server working - as if there were some urgency to it.

Regards,

Bill
---