RE: Why do symlinks need to be system files

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, P. Brockill wrote:

> >Sure.  Use new-style symlinks (i.e., shortcuts).  They only need to be
> >read-only, IIRC.  Make sure your CYGWIN variable doesn't contain
> >"nowinsymlinks", though.
> >       Igor
>
> Sounds right enough, but: don't the new-style symlinks always contain
> the full path to the file (e.g. e:\some_dir\some_file.ext)?  (Although I
> see from the text of the .lnk file that they also keep a cygwin path in
> the comment section as well)
> So say I want to make a link on a CD to another file on that CD called
> e:\some_dir\some_file.ext . Won't this fail when I try to see the link
> on a computer where the CD drive is d: ?
> Thanks for the help,
> Cheers.

I just ran a test with a symlink that got created when a network drive was
mounted on a certain directory.  When the network drive got disconnected
and the mount removed, the original path could be accessed through the
symlink, even though the Win32 path field was invalid (i.e., still pointed
to the imaginary Q: drive).  So I guess it's safe to say that the Win32
path field is ignored.  Of course, the source is always the ultimate
authority.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/