RE: Problem with dereference option on Windows LNKs (shortcuts)

[snip code]
> > I don't know what this all means but it implies to me that it will at
least
> > attempt to read the shortcut file. Is it possible to parse through
regular
> > shortcut files too?
>
> Possible to write code to do this? Yes, of course, but probably not
> desirable, see below.
> Possible to set an option to cause this? No, not currently, and probably
> never.
>
> Importantly, a Cygwin symlink contains a *POSIX* path. The fact that the
> symlink is also a windows shortcut is essentially just decoration.
> Obviously, a normal shortcut does not contain a POSIX path. It would
> probably be possible to deduce one, but there are good reasons for not
doing
> so: Extra data (icon, etc.) would be removed when shortcuts were saved and
> restored with tar, for example.

Oh, I see. A utility to convert Shortcuts to symlinks would be very useful
for this. I'm going to try to hack something up in PERL with the
Win32::Shortcut module I found but I still need to find the file layout for
the symlinks.

Thanks for all the help.

-Dan