Re: How to resolve a link?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:23:13PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:

Recently, I was trying to do "strace Xemacs . . ."
First I got a "No such file" error, so I changed to do "strace `which xemacs` " -- still a failure.

which xemacs returns "/usr/local/bin/xemacs.exe.lnk"; that is, my normal handle to launch xemacs is a symlink to the executable whose name or location varies with the version-number.

Given that its purpose is to locate what executable file one will use in a particular environment, should not 'which' resolve the symlink and return its target?

No.

What would happen on *nix?

The same thing as on cygwin.

OK, but would strace be equally unable to start the subprocess from a link? IIRC, one major irritation in Windoz is that one cannot do certain operations via a link ("shortcut") whereas in *nix the link is a nearly-complete surrogate for its target.

Of course, if there is a less-obvious but successful solution to the problem I'd be happy to hear about it.

--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org

-- David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate "By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr. Life is too short to tolerate crappy software. .