Re: documentation on building the cygwin dll

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2003 um 08:19 schriebst du:
>
>[...]
>
>> Could anyone point out where the documentation to build the cygwin dll is?
>
>I don't know, please write one!

Perhaps you should read further in the thread to where the FAQ entry was
mentioned.

FWIW, I don't buy the fact that the FAQ entry is hard to find.  It boils
down to the same issue as searching google.  If you type "How do I build the
cygwin DLL on Thursday after I've had a cup of coffee?" you won't get many
hits.  If you type "cygwin build DLL winsup" you get some pretty good advice.

If you are searching the FAQ, you don't need the "cygwin".  Just searching
for "build" should be enough to get you started.

When you type "make" in the winsup directory, you build more than just the
cygwin DLL, so if we change the entry to "building the Cygwin DLL", the next
whinge will be "I don't know how to build cygpath!  Wah!"  I suppose we could
add a bunch of headings to the FAQ to make it clearer.  But where do you draw
the line?  Should there be a "How do I build cygpath?" entry?  Should there be
a "How do I build w32api import libraries?"

I suppose there should.  Then the complaint will be that the FAQ has too many
titles...
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org