Re: documentation on building the cygwin dll

----- Original Message -----
From: "Igor Pechtchanski"

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Sam,

> > > I was able to build the dll with your script.  However, how come the
> > > new-cygwin1.dll size is over 6 MB?  Is this correct?  I've checked the
> > > latest version of cygwin1.dll and its size is less than 1 MB.
> >
> > The DLL you've built contains all available symbols, whereas the distributed DLL
> > is stripped (of those symbols).
> >
> > $ strip new-cygwin.dll
> >
> > Elfyn
>
> Carlo,
>
> Note, though, that once you strip the DLL, it becomes non-debuggable, just
> like the one on the mirrors. ;-)

This mailing list is really impressive!  Besides enjoying what I read here, this is the best technical support in the whole world!!!
Where else can one find support from the developers themselves, from the users, and from everyone else.  (The meanness is really
really worth it!)

I really got more than I expected.   First, I asked for some pointers on the documentation to build the cygwin dll.  Then, with the
a `strip' program.   I'm trying to figure out some things in `ls.exe' that's why I want to build the cygwin dll.   I've actually
compiled ls and the cygwin dll from source all because of the documentation and help in this M/L.

To all of you cygwin engineers and all in this M/L, my heartfelt thanks!

Now, for my next problem, ooops... wait, let it just be in another thread.

Best Regards,

Carlo
------
Carlo Florendo