Re: "Using cygwin Effectively with Windows" -- Draft of new User's Guide section

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:18:07AM -0700, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>I've thrown together a prospective "Using Cygwin Effectively with Windows"
>section for the User's Guide.
>
>If you'd like to look at it as a web page:
><http://iocc.com/~joshua/tmp/using-effectively.html>
>
>I'm going to be leaving this broadband connection in under 48 hours,
>so I'll probably put this into CVS tomorrow (with any corrections)
>unless there is a horrendous outcry against it. Then I'll be in and
>out of contact for probably a(nother) couple of weeks while I move.
>
>Some things:
>--Q: Does anyone know of a page that lists command line configuration
>utilities included with Windows 95/98/ME vs. Windows NT4/2000/XP?
>
>--FYI: There are links to outside sites like download.com, Hummingbird's
>free-beer SOCKS proxy, etc.
>
>--Documentation of printing is sparse since I don't really do it much.
>Does anyone have extensive documentation of their complex setup?
>
>--There's basically nothing on Java except a sample about translating
>the CLASSPATH to DOS format. I'm not sure what else to put in. There are
>no Cygwin-native java compilers, right?

This is wonderful stuff!  Thanks for doing it.

My comments:

Please don't suggest that setting CYGWIN=tty is necessary for running
rxvt.  The only reason to set CYGWIN=tty is if you are running bash
in a standard command window.

I think the section which talks about symlinks could talk a little bit
about what a symlink is before discussing what they are not.  Maybe there
should be something along the lines of:

Like UNIX, Cygwin provides the powerful feature of "symbolic links".
This feature allows you to link one filename to another.  Microsoft
provides ".lnk" files which seems similar at first glance but, in
reality, are fairly different.  While cygwin uses standard Microsoft
.lnk files as its default symlink mechanism, it does not include much of
the information that is available in a standard Microsoft .lnk file.

cgf