RE: "Using Cygwin Effectively with Windows" -- Draft of new User's Guide section

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Joshua Daniel Franklin

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:56:15PM +0200, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:
> > > From: Joshua Daniel Franklin
> >
> > > I've thrown together a prospective "Using Cygwin Effectively with
> > > Windows" section for the User's Guide.
> > >
> > > If you'd like to look at it as a web page:
> > > <http://iocc.com/~joshua/tmp/using-effectively.html>
> >
> > In the next to last paragraph there is a strange thing ;-)
> >  "Therefore these two types of links differently."
>
> Good catch.

 =-)

> > > Some things:
> > --8<--
> > > --Documentation of printing is sparse since I don't really do it much.
> > > Does anyone have extensive documentation of their complex setup?
> >
> >  I'd say stay basic: i.e. tell that:  (This is quickly sribbled
> text, take
> > heed!)
>
> OK, here is the updated section:
>
> --BEGIN
> There are several options for printing from Cygwin, including the
> native Windows lpr.exe, and the simlple lpr found in cygutils.
> The cygutils version will print to the printer definted in your
> PRINTER environment variable. It also accepts network printer
> names in backslash notation (\\COMPUTER\Printer Share), which
> must be escaped from shells such as bash (\\\\COMPUTER\\Printer
> Share). If you have a command in a script such that it may be
> processed twice by the shell, you may need to double-escape the
> name (\\\\\\\\COMPUTER\\\\Printer Share).

 Have you had a look at "man lpr" ?  //computer/printer, and LPTn:
is stated to be supported. Success may vary as it seems - I currently
have a setup where LPT1: does strange things. Can't tell whether it
is cygwin, my (old and slow) computer - or a combination.

> Note that lpr does no
> conversion of data; the printer must recognize the format of the
> data that is sent to it. Failing to do so will make the printer
> do random things, hang, or ignore the input. If your printer
> supports PostScript, packages such as a2ps and enscript can
> prepare text files for printing. The ghostscript package also
> provides some translation from PostScript to various native
> printer languages.
> --END

 Someone else pointed out that there are printers that _do_ accept
pure text file contents.
 e.g. I do know for sure that old matrix printers this by default. IIRC this
also applies to "PCL" printers (e.g. HP Laserjet 4L).

I have one that doesn't fit into that category though (old HP Deskjet 720C)
and my experience is that one should expect PS-printers to be the same.

> > Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>
> By the way, why not just set your reply address to cygwin@cygwin instead
> of the garbage? (Unless your real address *is* garbage_collector@telia.)

 It is a fully functional email-address, BUT expect it to change without
notice!
I will change it as soon as I feel that the spam amount is too large. I use
it
for some mailing lists and for filling in "unavoidable" forms on the web.
 It has been in use some time and just recently begun to be subject for
spam.
So far just some, but it might not be long before harmageddon.

 As to setting reply-to... As I use it for several other things it might not
be a good idea. Though I have not checked upon it, I do expect MS Outlook to
NOT be able to differentiate behaviour based on what the "To:" field
contains.
(Maybe some "Macro" stuff could be used for this... :-7)

FYI wrt SPAM: This is a pdf from some "Center for democracy & Technology" -
I do not
know who or what they are, but it seems (from a glance) to be a sensible
text:
 http://www.visi.com/~rwglynn/030319spamreport.pdf

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?14'N, 17?12'E
--END OF MESSAGE--