RE: What is the minimum needed to run gtar?

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Larry Hall

> Biederman, Steve wrote:
>
> > I want to allow the users I support to be able to run Cygwin
> tar on their Windows machines.
> > These machines have not had any Cygwin installed; they're just
> bare Windows machines.
> >
> > I provided them tar.exe and cygwin1.dll and assumed that with
> these, they could run
> > Cygwin tar sucessfully.  It appears that that isn't the case:
> machines without Cygwin
> > installed see different behavior than machines which have it
> installed.  (Running tar
> > on machines without Cygwin installed creates incorrect tar archives.)
> >
> > What is the minimum I need to provide to a non-Cygwin Windows
> machine to get
> > Cygwin tar to run reliably?
>

> Dunno.  Perhaps you need to provide some data on what's wrong with the
> archives made and some specifics on what you're using (cygcheck output
> perhaps?) and an example of the problem.

 A work-around might be to use Winrar - it seems to grok tar/gz files very
well.
I'd say that RAR is a good replacement for Winzip.
The culprit is: "40 days trial version" @ http://www.rarlab.com

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?14'N, 17?12'E
--END OF MESSAGE--