Re: Less fails with link error

David Balazic wrote:

If I try to run less from bash, I get a dialog saying :

less.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
link library cygwin1.dll.

[OK]

You've installed some test packages but you're not running the test
cygwin package.  Rerun setup, make sure you *don't* change the default
"Curr" to "Exp" and let it install anything it needs to.  Try it again.

I would give you the "less" version number , but "rpm -q less" gives :

$ rpm -qa
error: db4 error(13) from dbenv->open: Permission denied
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Permission denied (13)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
no packages

Doesn't anything work in cygwin ? :-)

No, nothing does.  You shouldn't use it.  Try Windows apps and O/Ss.
They _always_ work.

Did you install 'less' via 'rpm'?  If you did, you want to inquire at the
site that provided 'less' as an RPM file for assistance.  If you did not
install 'less' via 'rpm', why are you surprised that it's not in the
RPM DB?  BTW, 'cygcheck -c less' always provides package version
information if you install via setup.exe.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746