Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 05:08:48PM +0100, chris wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:32:42AM -0400, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>>>This may be a Win2000 problem, not a cygwin problem...What service pack
>>>are you running?
>>
>>"May be"?  You run a bunch of programs, exit them, and Windows slowly
>>loses memory after each exit?
>>
>>Hard to see how that's a cygwin problem.
>>
>That may be partly true, but is also not helpful.  If there is a memory
>leak in cygwin then tracking down exactly was is causing it would of
>course be a good idea, so it can be stopped.

As described, the memory leak is obviously not in cygwin.  It is in
windows.  I was adding some clarification to the issue by changing a
"may be" to a "definitely is".

I think that this kind of clarification is more useful than your
message, which essentially says "If we could figure out what was causing
the problem then maybe it could be fixed".  Personally, I don't see how
that observation is useful.

Having had some experience with this, I find it highly doubtful that any
useful data will come from people posting their "me too" experiences.
If someone wants to fix this then researching the Microsoft Knowledge
Base might be a place to start.  A google search might also be helpful.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org