Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak

* On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 03:24:26PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria <ADeFaria@Salira.com> wrote:
> It has already been acknowledged several times over that it is not a
> problem of Cygwin's rather a problem of Windows.

I think we all agree to that. But unfortunatelly, so far, only Cygwin
seems affected by that problem.
Hence, every now and then, the question will be asked on this list.
Because this is an extremly annoying bug that we have very little chance
to run into if we are not using Cygwin.

I guess cygwin is using a library not always correctly implemented.
"Isn't there any workaround cygwin could use ? " is a typical question
for many of us.

> What else do you want?

Personnally, I hope, as the question will be raised again and again,
that an expertise will emerge. Just knowing why there is a problem will
be a big step ahead -- ie: which library/service pack/... is faulty.

This time, someone told us about a freeware that collects "forgotten"
memory. Many thanks to him! If, thanks to this program, I will be able
to run ./configure for mutt or run my computer for more than 2 days (or
2 hours) without the need to reboot ... you have no idea of how glad I
will be.

That kind of answer is want we expect. That is not a definitive bug fix,
but a possible workaround.

BTW, if this program is an effective workaround, I think this will merit
a topic in the FAQ.

> When you cluelessly continue to assert that it's a Cygwin memory leak
> is exactly where is leads down the path to character assassinations.

Could we say that cygwin relies on a faulty library developped by
Microsoft ? And that nobody has identified the faulty library ?

--
Luc Hermitte
PS: don't mistake me, Cygwin is a wonderful project. And I thank people