Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak

Well, I can't feel too guilty about chiming "me too" - cause it already
brought forth a VERY useful
and *productive* response:

Unlike the ... uh-hem ... *posts* of some other folks ....

I will say this - anything that ends in "contact Microsoft" is about as
useful as a 300 baud modem
on a Pentium 4. No - the modem is definitely more useful. All I want to do,
is use Cygwin to solve
some of my problems. So I'm given a naked Compaq box with dual processors,
2 gigs of ram,
and W2K Server w SP3. ( I am not part of the "NT Team" at work - talking to
them is a lot like
talking to Microsoft. ) I set up and run nothing but cygwin and cygwin
installed apps. And then
I run it again, and again and again and again - and then the box crashes.
And the NT people
get all upset cause someone has to find the box in the unlabeled server
farm and power it
down and back up again. Five meetings full of name calling and finger
pointing follow.

Just a slice of my "clueless" life.

But I digress.

All I want is for software ( I didn't say *cygwin* - I'm being *generic* )
to work as "expected".
Crashing servers somehow violate reasonable expectations. There's an awful
lot of other
software out there that runs 24-7 on the same windows that you wish to
blame and *it* doesn't
bring the box down. Non-cygwin Apache comes to mind. I believe it's
possible to write code
that doesn't as cfg put it

      "triggers a windows problem"

Cause it certainly appears to me that others must have encountered the same
problem, and
didn't say "well it's Microsoft's problem".

Now I'm not telling anyone what to do, or not to do. All I know is the
Microsoft installed base
probably numbers in the *billions* out there. And even if MS *were* to fix
the problem, what are
the odds that this fix would find it's way onto even a sizable fraction of
that base?? In spite of the bloated
bombastic verbage often spewing forth from this forum, a *cygwin* fix is
definitely

      the path of least resistance.

Believe it or not. Someone will fix this someday. I have "faith". It won't
be me, and it won't be
someone in Redmond Washington. I have a work-around so I'm currently
satisfied. I'll
be patient.

Cluelessly yours,
BK

( PS -  I HATE Windows - put I get paid 'quite well' to work on it, and
given the current state
  of the economy - I think I'll keep working on it ..... )

"Andrew DeFaria" <ADeFaria@Salira.com>@cygwin.com on 08/07/2003 06:24:26 PM

Sent by:    cygwin-owner@cygwin.com